Saturday, May 4, 2013

At the Movies


        Saturday, April 20, my mother and I went to see The Croods in 3D at Cinemark, and I think the Regal Cinema has better 3D. Some scenes could have been done in 3D that weren’t, so either the film used bad 3D, or the Cinemark theater does. The movie is about the adventures a cave family has adapting to the new world, and it stars Nicolas Cage. I liked the movie, and would recommend it.

On Saturday, April 27, my mother and I went to see 42 about Jackie Robinson, and I thought it was both a good movie, and pathetic at the same time. It continues to amaze me why anyone would dehumanize their fellow human beings, especially after World War II, when the black divisions fought as bravely as the white ones. The movie depicted some of the torments Jackie Robinson went through before and during his first season with a professional white team, but I’m sure it glossed over much worse.

Harrison Ford also played a good part as a team owner more interested in, can a black man play baseball? than the fact he was black.

I also take issue with the rating of the movie. It was rated PG-13, even though the N-word was used pervasively in spots. The N-word is a derogatory word for a person, yet it only gets you a PG-13 rating. The F- word, is a plain derogatory word, but gets you an R rating. That seems backwards to me, and don’t understand the thinking concerning that decision.

On the home front, I recently listened to the book The Gangster Squad, and it was interesting to note the differences between the book and the movie. The movie was mostly factual, but the producer and director took great creative license in its arrangement. I am glad though I saw the movie before listening to the book because I would’ve been comparing them, even if I tried not to. I won’t tell you the differences because I don’t want to spoil either for anyone.

Today, May 4, my mother and I saw the IMAX version of Iron Man 3, and I highly recommend it. It takes place after The Avengers, but doesn’t contain any other character from that universe. As always with the series, the movie contains just the right amount of humor and action.

No comments:

Post a Comment