Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Rock?


Again I tried the Windows speech recognition, but as before it started glitching after a while. Eventually I decided to go back to Dragon 11.5 because when Dragon 12 froze it was affecting my computer. Sometimes it would freeze the computer’s magnifier, and I would have to push ctrl*alt*del to unfreeze the screen. Once, nothing worked, and I had to manually shut off my computer, and turn it back on. This didn't endear me to Dragon 12 because I know you're not supposed to do that. I'll conclude my Dragon saga in the next entry, but rest assured I have Dragon 11.5 working.

Sometimes Dragon 12 would make loading webpages slow even after it was closed by Windows, but it never affected Windows Media Player for some reason. I looked at the system requirements for Dragon 12 on the Nuance website, and I meet all of them. One of the recommended settings I don't have, but I have more than the minimum it says.

I sort of bought the computer I currently have for Dragon 11.5, and partially to see what Windows Magnifier was like. The computer I have now works just fine, especially since I upgraded the sound card. The Windows Magnifier works very well, even though for some strange reason Windows speech and Windows Explorer don't get along with the other Windows product. I didn't want to get another new computer to match Dragon 12 recommended specifications both because I'm not made of money, and Dragon 11.5 functions marginally slower than Dragon 12, that is when Dragon 12 functions at all.

Three weeks ago my mother and I went to see Expendables 2, and I really liked it. It wasn't Oscar caliber acting or plot by any stretch of the imagination, but it was good entertainment. Things blow up, and a lot of machine guns go off. That's about the extent of the description I can give.

I listened to one of Brandon Sanderson's books a while ago, and the other three recently. The books are for a young adult audience, Mark would say I'm neither young, nor an adult, but nonetheless they're hilarious. Just so you know, I would wholeheartedly return the sentiment as regards my brother. The book titles are Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener’s Bones, Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia, and Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens, and I highly recommend you listen to them. In my opinion, you would miss a great deal of the humor otherwise but, to be honest, I've never read the physical books.

A boy has to evade a cult of evil librarians, while being dragged along on a series of hilarious adventures. He has a magical talent; he's very good at breaking things. The book may sound stupid to you, but Mr. Sanderson has a sample chapter up on his website in the Alcatraz portal section. I recommend you read this before dismissing the series. His website is www.brandonsanderson.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment