Saturday, June 23, 2012

World Traveler

Spaceship Earth was closed on the morning of day four of our trip, so we went to the Universe of Energy. The audio descriptive device worked for that, but only for the actual ride portion of the attraction. Since the movie sequence and pre-show are half the attraction, it would've been nice if the device worked for them as well.

Then we went to The Seas with Nemo and Friends on which the device worked very well. This attraction is one of the better ones to have a description for, since I can see fewer parts of the scenery than on some others. At least it's good to hear a description of what I can see.

 Then we skipped Mission Space because it sounded a little too intense. I much preferred Horizons, which was the attraction they had in that location previously.

We went across to World Showcase, and first to the Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros in Mexico. The device worked well for this ride, and even though I couldn't always see what was being described, I still looked. The best part of the ride is the ambience, especially the ceiling, which looks like an authentic night sky to me.

Then we went to Norway and The Maelstrom ride. The device didn't describe this attraction, and it does probably go too fast for a description to keep up.

World Showcase would've been an excellent place to have automated descriptions, but I was able to manually start them, minus the Gran Fiesta Tour. However, the device still needs to be fine tuned because at times even when I wasn't moving, the description would interrupt itself to tell me my location. This was inconvenient, especially when the description was almost finished because I'd have to start from the beginning.

After Norway, we walked through China, Germany, Italy and back to Germany for lunch at the Biergarten. The menu was buffet style, and the food was pretty good.

Then we went through the rest of the countries, unfortunately we couldn't see the American Adventure. The times that it was showing wouldn't have worked out, so we just had to come back another day.

Back in the present, I just finished listening to a book called The Lost Empire of Atlantis by Gavin Menzies, and it makes a good case that something that got garbled into Atlantis actually existed. The book is nonfiction, and doesn't contain any spaceships or life sucking aliens. It is well reasoned, and states its sources clearly.

I also just finished listening to a book called The Sacred Band, book 3 of the Acacia trilogy, and it most definitely is fiction. No it's not about religion or heavy metal groups. I don't really want to say very much about it because it is book 3 of a trilogy. I would recommend though if you want to read it you should start with book one The War with the Mein. The book’s author is David Anthony Durham. The book does contain some graphic violence, so it's not for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment