Saturday, March 31, 2012

Games

Last weekend, March 17, my mother and I went to see The Lorax at the Great Escape Theater, and unlike most 3-D movies, this was actually very good 3-D. Considering the same people who made this also made Despicable Me, I thought that 3-D would be well done and the Despicable Me 2 will be coming out in 2013. For the reasons stated in earlier blog posts I like the Great Escape Theater better than Cinemark, but I don't like the fact Great Escape doesn't reuse their 3-D glasses.

Right now I'm listening to the Hunger Games series to see what all the fuss is about, and so far it seems, good isn't the correct word. I don't think I'm spoiling anything when I say the book revolves around gladiatorial combat, but with kids as the gladiators. The theme of retaining your humanity, while being forced to do inhumane things also looms large in the city.

Under other circumstances, I might consider going to see Hunger Games the film, but it's shot using shaky camera techniques. It was the method used to film The Blair Witch Project, Cloverfield, and Apollo 18, to name the three I can remember. Even then the second row of the theater, I'm sure I still miss quite a bit, so I think seeing a shaky camera film would just be a waste of money for me.

Right now I'm listening to a biography about George Washington, and I find it very interesting. Being a history major, I like to go beyond what we all learned in school about our founders, and see what events shaped them. The book is called Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow. I also listened to a biography of Alexander Hamilton by Mr. Chernow, and found it enlightening. When I finish the Washington biography, I'll let everyone know what I think of it.

I took my blog down from Kindle because you had to update it at least once a week. Thus far it had got no hits, but more importantly I didn't know if I would have something profound to say at least once every seven days. Mark will tell you I have plenty of things to say but none of it is profound. I beg to differ but then I would say none of the stuff that comes out of his mouth is profound. I didn't want to just string the appropriate number of words together, so I removed it.

I've finished my short story, and when I finish making changes, I'll put it up on Kindle most likely. The idea actually came from my aunt, but I forget the when, where, or how of the conversation. This story is about what goes on behind the scenes of daylight savings time.

No comments:

Post a Comment