Saturday, December 19, 2009

Disney XVII

For a value resort, the food court was very good, a whole lot better than some of the resorts at the deluxe resorts we’ve been at. On our last full day at Walt Disney World, why?, we went to the California Grill at the Contemporary Resort. I think the Contemporary is cool, partially because the monorail runs through it. Anyway, there was supposedly a dress code for this restaurant and we foolishly believed them. Naturally, we had to take dress everything, which added weight to our suitcases and with the restrictions on all that stuff, suitcase weight can become an issue. So, we had to go back to the hotel, taking valuable time away from rides and change into the dress clothes. We took the bus to the Magic Kingdom, I think, and then the monorail to The Contemporary. We checked in at the appropriate area, then were led to an elevator up to the restaurant. We picked night time because you can see the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the outside balcony.

First, I think we had to wait a while to get seated, then it took a while to get served and it was difficult for me to find something to eat. I don’t mean reading the menu was difficult, just that it was hard to find something. I’m one of those people that prefer ordinary food, like spaghetti and meatballs or chicken, etc. Chicken fried caviar, diced with eggplant, sprinkled with vodka and liver, with a side of something I can’t even pronounce, doesn’t appeal to me very much. Anyway, I got some kind of chicken which was probably way too expensive for chicken. The best part was there weren’t very many people in dress clothes there; there were plenty of shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops but not many button-down shirts. A lot of kids were running around too and how you can even feed a kid at a restaurant like that is beyond me. My point is, if you’re going to have an, expletive deleted, dress code, then enforce it or don’t have one. I, at least, will not be going back to any Disney restaurants with supposed dress codes; I prefer to have more room in my suitcase and to spend more time at the parks.

I must say, the fireworks were nice viewed from the balcony but not worth whatever the price of admission was, not to mention the annoyance factor discussed above. We tried it once and will not be going back. Personally, I’d prefer Pop Century’s food court, Cosmic Rays, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Not being able to find something to eat is why we always look at the menus before we go. Restaurants like the California Grill are way to expensive to go to and not be able to find anything that looks appetizing.

    ReplyDelete