Monday, September 1, 2014

Nothing To See Here, Really

After leaving, we walked down to the waterfront facing Manhattan, and I saw the Freedom Tower all lit up, which was pretty cool. After a while, we went to a bar called The Bridges near Mark’s apartment, where I tried a hard apple cider. I prefer apple juice.  When Rodney started getting close, we went back to the apartment to meet him. Then the ninja turtles were complete. Mark and I independently came to the conclusion I was Michelangelo but I forget who we decided the others could be. Matt poured out some moonshine, which I didn’t like after a sip. Then, we went up on the roof deck, and I was able to see the Manhattan Bridge all lit up. I also heard the trains passing by, which I really liked.
After some time, and discussion of plans, we all got our sleep in preparation for the day to come.
After everyone got up on Saturday, we went to Clark’s Restaurant for breakfast, but I think everyone except Rodney actually ordered lunch. I had a Gyro, which I very much enjoyed. I wish it had more sauce on it, but may be because it was so large; they couldn’t without making a huge mess.
After finishing, we used the Uber app to get a car to go to the Brooklyn Brewery for a tour which resides in an old warehouse I think. I believe we got in line around noon, but while we waited, all the 2 PM tickets had already gone. As 1 PM approached though, I was able to do my civic duty. We went to where they were letting people in for the tour, asked where to get tickets, and then they told us we could join the one that was starting right then. They showed us the process by which they took grains and other components, making them into liquid courage.
Then, we walked back into the beer hall, and sampled various kinds of product. They drank the full cups of everything they ordered, while I only had one sip from each, disliking all.
After leaving to recover our hearing—many dozens of people, many beers, and concrete floors and walls are not a quiet combination—we took another Uber to the King’s County Distillery, where among other things they made chocolate whiskey. After walking the winding path to the main building, the person showed us how they turn corn into whiskey, and how they make their other products. Our guide showed us the barrels where they kept the aged whiskey in 5, 10, 15 and 53 gallon barrels.
Mark said it looked like they could fit me in one the of the 53 gallon barrels, and those barrels looked large enough to fit a dwarf in each, for anyone who hasn’t read or watched The Hobbit this will mean absolutely nothing.
          Then we drank samples of their three products, including the chocolate whiskey, none of which I liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment