Monday, May 21, 2012

Kingdom


A postscript to my last entry, the audio device worked well on Pirates of the Caribbean. The description was very helpful, but it wasn't always synced with the scenery floating by. I think it would be most effective if Disney eventually put sensors in both the scenery and the device, so the description wouldn't leap ahead or fall behind.

Now back to the current entry already in progress. I wanted to go on Splash Mountain right after lunch but for some unknown reason no one else did. After lengthening the cord for the audio device, we went on the ride for which I could probably do the narration perfectly well, The Haunted Mansion. The description worked as well as it did last trip, but there was a problem. The doom buggies run on a continuous conveyor belt, so it stops whenever a person in a wheelchair has to transfer. This causes the description to get ahead of the buggies progress, but this isn't really a concern on The Haunted Mansion. As I said, I've been on it so many times; I could probably give the narration.

We weren't able to go to the Hall of Presidents last trip because Barack Obama was being installed. This time we did see it, and Morgan Freeman was the new narrator. There were no penguins though, only presidents.

Then we went to Fantasyland. First we rode Snow White's Scary Adventure because next time we go it won't be there. The ride is being replaced by The Seven Dwarves Mine Train. It will be a roller coaster through the mines set to the seven dwarves themed music, and I don't know if it will be a kid coaster or not.

Next we rode Peter Pan's Flight, and the audio descriptive device only started working about halfway through the ride. This had to do with the fact that the actual device was in my pocket, and I was sitting down. I realize the placement of the device might be the problem, so I took it out. The device worked fine then, but at that point we were more than half done with the ride. Even with the description, Peter Pan isn't my favorite ride, but it's worth going on once or twice.

Mickey's PhilharMagic came up next, and again I wish the pre-area description started automatically. Even if you select the pre-show description manually, sometimes it will cut off in the middle, and tell you that you're by Mickey's PhilharMagic. The show description worked fine, and I didn't even get zapped when the thing got slightly wet.

Next we rode The Many Adventurous of Winnie the Pooh, and the device worked very well. It started pretty much on time, but again there is the problem of the description falling out of sync if the ride stopped for some reason.

Last, in Fantasyland we rode It’s a Small World, and the description worked adequately. The ride is a slow boat ride, and fell out of sync with the description. The descriptions seem to be portraying things accurately, but it doesn't really matter if they fall out of sync with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment