Saturday, October 24, 2009

Gym

Gym in elementary was very annoying for me. It consisted mostly of climbing on bars, arranged every which way, running obstacle courses, dodgeball and the balance beam. The balance beam and other balance-related exercises I particularly detested because I am very proud of the fact that I can fail one of those sobriety tests where you have to walk in a straight line, stone sober. Anyone who knows me knows that I couldn’t walk a completely straight line if I tried. So you’re aware, I have never gotten drunk, I have enough issues with seeing without wanting to double the number of badly seen images. As for dodgeball and obstacle courses, well, let’s just say darkness would’ve been a good equalizer.

In middle-school we also had swimming class, along with normal PE. In swimming, I had to take my glasses off, so I saw worse than usual. Adaptive PE was in a room off the hallway behind the gym. There was some exercise equipment in the room but there was also an Atari system with some games. The few people in there weren’t encouraged or discouraged from using the equipment. We couldn’t use the exercise equipment if the teacher/minder left the room or was absent, hence the Atari. Would I rather play Donkey Kong and DigDug or do stupid exercises; naturally I did the responsible thing and played Donkey Kong. I did use the exercise equipment sometimes but not as much as I probably should have. Those games were fun.

I didn’t play sports; I did attempt basketball a few times. Somehow I always ended up getting hit on the head, I wonder why that happened, but I have a hard head. I needed it because I had several, I consider them minor, after all, I’m still here, injuries over the years; mostly when I was in elementary school and mostly because I don’t think I really comprehended that I had bad reflexes. It could also have been that I’m a bit of a daredevil.

High school beckoned and driv…, “wait, you mean I can’t drive?!”. That’s right I can’t drive and I don’t drink so I’ll be your designated driver; that thought should sober anyone up real fast. Most of the time in highschool during PE I had study hall; at least DigDug was fun. We had health in 9th grade but that was it for mandatory PE, thankfully. We also had driver’s safety in 10th grade but since, for some reason, no one will let me drive, I didn’t take it. To this day no one will let me drive, my parents, my brother and even my dog have licenses; I think I should have one. I want a pilot’s license too.

In college, the classes were often not in the same building so the walking provided some exercise and also I took a nutrition and wellness class. I took the stairs too, there was an elevator but often, I could get where I was going faster by walking.

Next entry will be at the Magic Kingdom. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, I thought you actually had to take a final exam to get out of Driver's Safety. :-P That's the funniest part of the whole story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to see that you have not lost your humor! I think you should try to get a book deal!
    -Melanie

    ReplyDelete